Sunday, March 4, 2007

March show: Truthiness

The Art of Merle Citron and Stacie Speer Scott

When artists Merle Citron and Stacie Speer Scott are featured at the Artists’ Gallery, the front room vibrates. Citron and Scott have been a part of the local art world for more than twenty years. Both painters have exhibited in numerous group and one-person art shows and both share the same interest in design, color, and subject matter. It’s just that they differ in their approach to their own personal truths. Their two-person show, Truthiness, opens Friday, March 9th and continues through Sunday, April 1st. Please note that there is no opening reception for this show, but please do visit anytime during normal gallery hours: Fri, Sat, Sunday 11-6.

Merle Citron
“Silence”
16x20, oil
For Merle Citron, painting is a soul thing. “There’s something awesome about finishing a painting and believing that it came through me, rather than from me,” she notes. “My art is where I can be me. Since my work is about me and since I am fascinated, tickled, awed, amused and sometimes saddened by the people I find around me, I paint them.

Citron’s people speak to the viewer about life, its vicissitudes and its victories. “If it is possible to chronicle the universality of the passing scene, then I endeavor to achieve this in my art. And, if it is possible to fascinate, tickle, awe, amuse, and sometimes sadden my viewer, then I have achieved authenticity.” In addition to her “people paintings,” Citron’s still life paintings are also on exhibit.



Stacie Speer Scott
“Kedian Selling Flowers”
21x30, mixed media
Stacie Speer Scott finds her truth in chaos. Her sophisticated collages reveal her many loves and fascinations. According to Scott, “There is rarely a plan. The works are created from a jumble of materials, techniques, emotions, ideas and a lot of unfinished business. The process of developing a work of art intrigues me. Once I have begun a work, I tend to paint many paintings in one piece. I often collage into the works and build them or extend them by joining together several works, which in my mind are connected, primarily through relationships, which could be about color, shape, an idea, a reference or all of these things. Although chaos may reign throughout the process, in the end I strive for a unified resolution to the work of art.”


The Artists' Gallery is located at 32 Coryell Street, Lambertville, NJ, and is open 11 to 6pm Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays or by appointment. 609-397-4588 or lambertvillearts.com

No comments:

Post a Comment