Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Enchantment - the art of Joseph DeFay and Maxine Shore

"Enchantment"
Joseph DeFay
and
Maxine Shore

September 8 - October 2, 2016

Opening Reception: Saturday September 17, 2016 5-8 pm


Artists' Gallery is pleased to present "Enchantment," an exhibition featuring the oil paintings of Maxine Shore and the photographs of Joseph DeFay.

Inspiration for my paintings often comes from places near and far that spark my imagination. Because I work exclusively in oils, I usually rely on watercolor or pencil sketches as well as my camera to record images that I work on in my studio. Such was the case with the painting, Cinque Terre, which depicted a town in Italy my husband and I visited last year. A photograph of the painting was featured in the New York Times this past February.

I'm a painter who loves color. Seeing and interpreting the various colors I find in landscapes is what interests and inspires me. Every time I begin a new painting, I challenge myself to see and interpret my subject with a fresh approach. Looking for unexpected colors and movement in a scene is what I strive to capture in my work.

Joseph is a member of the Photographic Society of Philadelphia and the Plastic Club. His work has been exhibited at Penn Medicine Rittenhouse, the Plastic Club, the Art Alliance, Perkins Center for the Arts, Bucks County Audubon Society, and the Hamilton Township Public Library.

My photographs attempt to document a view of the various ways individuals explore their existence through philosophy, religion, or tradition. My current exhibit - New Vrindaban (The Land of Krishna) - includes photos taken in the mid-seventies during a four-day stay at a Hare Krishna farm community in West Virginia. They are being seen together for the first time.

Krishna (meaning Dark or Dark Blue) also known as Govinda (Cow Protector), is one of the most beloved and widely worshipped of all the Hindu Deities. He is the central character of the immensely popular Hindu Scripture called the Bhagavad Gita (Song of God). Today his teachings and exploits are still widely celebrated by Hindus around the world.


Visit the event website for more information about this show.

And don't forget - while we feature 2 artists each month,
all 16 Artists' Gallery artists have work on display,
and there is always a wide variety of artwork to enjoy. 


Artists' Gallery, 18 Bridge Street, Lambertville, NJ - map & directions
Gallery hours: Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sunday 11 am - 6 pm
www.lambertvillearts.com

No comments:

Post a Comment